A Love Story



0 comments
I’m realizing that in this time that we’re all living, heart decisions are so difficult. We’re faced with economical choices, unknowns, codes, personality issues, and physical limitations. It’s so hard to choose from the heart. How do we keep smiling, How do we find joy? How do we move forward?

I was wondering this last evening as I sat at a window in a restaurant having dinner with a friend. On a lower level outside the window was a cafe. The scene was like a movie going on before us.

I could tell you quite a few stories from those moments, but the one that stole my heart was happening at the edge of the cafe. Sitting at a small round table was a handsome gentleman, white hair and moustache, lean body, and a kind face. He seemed very relaxed as he enjoyed his Guinness.

Not facing me was his companion...sitting in a wheelchair. I could not tell whether the person was a woman, a child, a man, but I could tell that the white haired gentleman felt very close to whomever he was with. I saw her stir and knew it was a woman.

Slowly he picked up another glass, a Manhattan and reached it to her lips. It apparently wasn’t easy and took patience. He carefully lifted a napkin to help catch any liquid that didn’t get into her mouth. Soft dabs as he made soft/silent movements of his mouth. His hand gently smoothing her hair, fixing her cover, and then going back to enjoying his ale.

I was mesmerized. I knew I was watching a great love story, such patience, such peaceful commitment. Tenderness just plowed right through me. Immediately it came to my mind what this scene could look like with other choices, the hospital bed, the medicinal smells, the big equipment. Perhaps that’s what they return to, but none of it was there. Instead there was a treasured Manhattan, a Guinness, a Sycamore tree decorated with colorful balls glistening in the setting sun and their evening experience. I was witnessing creativity at its finest, compassion at its deepest, and love at its fullest.

Finally cocktail time was over. He made sure she was all set and comfortable, left some bills, and pushed the wheelchair toward the exit. Their evening party was over. Their picnic on the small plaza. Their heaven on earth / within all limitations. I blessed them both and gave thanks for my seat at that window.

0 comments:

newer post