Sacred Systems



2 comments
I seem caught in the ecstasey of systems. The ones which create our reality, and the ones we create to support our own lives. The reality one blows me away. The order of our universe seems so Divine to me that it brings me to tears. I view the small thumbnail of the new moon with a bright star nearby and I'm struck just like I am when I become aware of how many colors there are as I view a sunset. I look out of my window to see the recently leafed trees that create a forest of awe and depth and I'm in love. I see a robin outside building her nest in some crazy place with such determination, and I'm baffled. Then someone sends me an e mail that's a series of photographs showing the amazing beauty of waves and I sit and cry. What an amazing amount of beauty created by all these divine systems of nature.

Because my work is about creating environments for clients, I begin to see how we as creative beings, are given the gift of direction for our on lives from this reality and I wonder. What do we create to support our living? How do we bring order to our environment to create beauty, power, flow and harmony? And do we?

It is magnificent when we do create a space no matter how big or how small that supports our journey, our living, our movement from task to task. It also, is, a wonder when those systems within our space feel good, work profoundly, are beautiful and support us daily. Yes, I'm really bringing this down to the miniscule. Are our books where we can access them? And does their presence look powerful as well as establish an efficient library? When we awaken, sit to read, cook, or even prepare to leave our home, are all of those moments easy, sacred, fun, efficient?

I'm going to use an example which really brings it down to the mundane. I have a friend who has decided she likes her hair syle better when she has more wave and lift. In order to get this effect her best method seems to be using rollers that heat-up. "It's a real giant effort," she said, "so I've given it up.

Well we all know how important it is to feel good about our appearance, to walk out that door feeling all put-together. I saw her problem. She had no system to add hot rollers to her hair routine. We examined her dresser for I knew easy access to this appliance would solve her problem. I found it! There were things in her vanity drawers that were way far removed from helping her in the moment of oblutions. We moved these items to other less vital places to be stored and moved the hot rollers for very easy access. Now as she dries her hair she can have her curlers heating up without even moving them from the drawer. There's a plug nearby which helped us decide the placement, and when she's done drying, the rollers are ready. She rolls up her hair (She said it takes her 6 minutes, ) and she is coiffed to her comfort level supported by the system that makes it a joy and EASY. The the ugly appliance is stored in a drawer never having to move.

This may offend some that I've brought this thesis to such a mundane place, but it's what I believe. Systems make life easy, and they can be created in ways that keep our spaces beautiful and ordered, like keeping a daily calendar, creating good closet systems, supporting our food preparation, even knowing always where we'll find our keys. Hooray for systems! To create them takes decluttering, awareness of priorities, and honest support of our desires to make things happen. And they help life, our life, our peace, and our ability to get our there and make something new possibilities in the world. Long live healthy systems, in our universe as well as in our sacred space.
Amen!

2 comments:

Anita at: 5:12 PM said...

I just found your blog and website. Somehow I found your book, "What Color is Your slipcover?" at a book sale. For me, it's what I've needed for a long time. So glad I finally found it. I've been stuck for a very long time. And, I think it will be a big help in helping to 'right' my life. Wish I lived closer and you could actually help me 'live.'

I'll keep reading your blog postings.

Many thanks!

Anita at: 5:15 PM said...

Anita

older post